The North Carolina Republican Party (referred to in this resolution as the “NCGOP”) was officially organized in March of 1867 in the Capital House Chamber, in Raleigh NC with 147 members in attendance. This was the first interracial political gathering in the history of our state. We were founded on principles of patriotism, the sanctity of life and marriage, free enterprise, low taxes, economic opportunity and controlled government spending.
The newly formed NC GOP took positions supporting the thirteenth, the fourteenth and the nineteenth amendments to the constitution ensuring liberty and basic civil rights for all citizens regardless of race, color or sex.
There have been six honorable and duly-elected Republican governors since the organization of the NCGOP: William W. Holden, Tod R. Caldwell, Daniel L. Russell, James Holshouser Jr., James G. Martin and Patrick Lloyd McCrory.
For 150 years, without exception, the NCGOP has remained committed to:
- the family as the most basic strength of our nation;
- free enterprise as the most effective and just economic system in the world;
- God-given individual liberties such as the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness;
- the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death;
- a free society whose power rests in the hands of its citizens;
- free, fair and accurate elections;
- access to excellent public, private and home schools for all children as chosen by their parent(s);
- law and order with justice for all citizens;
- our duty as stewards to protect the earth’s resources and use them wisely;
- the sovereignty of the United States of America.
We proudly celebrate our North Carolina Republican Party this year, and we welcome you to join us.